Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Daily Exposures

After reading "Broken Things" by Sara Teasdale a second time, I realized a deeper meaning to the poem. The first time when I wrote my thoughts on this poem, I just said that Sara Teasdale was trying to connect with strangers and tell them that broken things can be good and beautiful. The second time I read it, I realized that Teasdale is trying to let her audience know that it is okay to be broken. It's okay to let out all your feelings, to cry, and to let yourself take risks that might hurt you. She suggests that in life you are made and supposed to break so you can put yourself back together again. Teasdale's poem showed me that I shouldn't worry all the time about the outcome of trying new things (I don't mean drugs, alcohol, etc.)  and whether or not they will hurt me. I should take risks because the worst that could happen was that I'd feel broken for a little while, but everyone eventually gets put back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment