Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Parent Interview

Me: So, did you always want kids growing up?
Mom: Yes.
Dad: Yes.
Me: What were your goals for your future children?
Mom: Let's see... I mean I guess when I was little I always wanted children but I only thought of them as little, not as adults. Until I had my first child then I realized that I wanted him to lead a long, happy healthy life and I feel that way about all my children.
Dad: To do well in school, go to college and to be happy.
Me: Would you say that your parents were strict?
Mom: My father was strict.
Dad: Yes in some respects.
Me: What were they?
Dad: Curfew, not letting me go far away from home, when I was little of course.
Me: Do you see yourself parenting in similar ways as your parents?
Mom: Yes.
Dad: Yes.
Me: In what ways?
Mom: Teaching good manners, good English, I get mad at the same things like I don't like talking back, or I say things that my mother said.
Me: Are you glad you had 3 children?
Mom: Yes.
Dad: Yes, but we wish I had more.
Me: How many more?
Dad: 2.
Me: Do you wish you had more than 3 children Mom?
Mom: No, 3 is good.
Me: What is the best lesson you've taught me?
Mom: How to be kind
Dad: and compassionate to others and to appreciate what you have.
Me: Did having children strengthen your relationship or make it harder?
Both: Strengthened.
Mom: When you have babies, lack of sleep, diapers, it's hard but it was all worth it. Dad still hasn't slept a full night since you were born.
Dad: (laughed) It was a sacrifice, but worth it.
Me: What have you learned from your children?
Dad: To stop at 3.
(Both laughed)
Me: No Dad, like the lessons that we've taught you.
Mom: what a challenge it is to be patient, that the love you have for your children is bigger than you thought love could be. It's just different like when you say "Mom would you go on that giant roller coaster to save my life?" I hate roller coasters but I would still go on it for my children.
Me: Dad, how about you? What are the lessons that we've taught you?
Dad: To be less strict and to be more compassionate.
Me: What goals do you have for yourself as a parent?
Mom: To be a better guide for them into adulthood.
Dad: Exactly, and to help them be self sufficient and independent. And to be there when my children need me.
Me:What do you think you could do better/differently to prepare us for the real world?
Dad: Do more volunteer work with you, give you more chores around the house, teach you more religious values, and teach you how to cook. Oh and not to be a procrastinator and stay up until 12 doing your homework, Samantha.
Me: (rolls eyes) And how about you Mom?
Mom: To teach you guys how to be self confident.
Me: What is it like to have a child who lives across the country?
Mom: Um, I'm not going to say sad, I mean I'm happy for him because he's making a living out there and he's found positive things to do in his life but it's hard because I miss him and I wish I could see him.
Dad: I wish I could see him and spend more time with him.
Me: Would you keep us in Massachusetts if you could?
Dad: No.
Me: Why not?
Dad: Because I want you to pursue the best opportunities for you if that happens to be in New York City, Florida or Georgia it doesn't matter.
Mom: Not necessarily Massachusetts, I would like you to not be far but if that's what you have to do. I mean you have to let go, that's something that having children teaches you. Like look at Noah, I want to wrap him in bubble wrap but I can't!
Me: What lessons do you hope we will take away from your parenting and pass onto our own children?
Mom: How to be loving.
Dad: Caring, charitable
Me: What do you mean by "charitable"?
Dad: To put your time in helping others.
Mom: Always tell your children you love them even when they say that they hate you.
Me: Okay, thank you guys for letting me interview you, love ya.
Both: Love you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment